Monday, January 19, 2009

The Best & Worst Day Ever!

Having three children especially close in age, it is a rare thing to have a quantity of one-on-one time with each child. Though I love family time and being with all of my children, you learn the most precious things about your child in solitaire moments.

Yesterday, after a long winter break, I took Monica back to Kent. Though we've made this trip together on several occasions, this was the first time she didn't sleep most of the drive up there. For three solid hours, we chatted without interruption about the most random subjects. We talked about our likes and dislikes in movie stars, music, interesting facts about our family members, my childhood, my Mom (she often slips into our conversations), funny family stories, Jerry's cooking . . . . . It was a delightful trip.

When we got to Kent, we were fortunate enough to score a wheeled bin right away so it only took one trip to get Monica's things up to her 7th floor room. She was quick to show me all of the new things she added to her room since my last visit there in September. I helped her unpack a few things and then our hungry stomachs were demanding food.

With no particular agenda for the day, we took our time driving through downtown Kent, taking notice of stores or places that would come in handy in the future. We drove to the Alpha Phi house but didn't get to go in. At least now I know where it is. We ended up at Panera for lunch and both were disappointed when they were out of the bread for our favorite sandwiches, which seems to be happening more and more at Panera! Annoying! Lunch was more conversation and discussions - -though this time, Monica was a little preoccupied with text messages.

For some reason, we can't seem to take our girls to school without a trip to Walmart -- so we headed off to Walmart. Monica needed a few things but mostly we browsed and compared this new rather large Walmart to the one we frequent at home. After a small purchase was made, we headed back to Monica's room.

I sensed Monica was not yet ready for me to leave and quite frankly, I was not ready to say good-bye either. I stayed in her room for about an hour and we just chatted some more -- accomplished nothing along the lines of unpacking or organizing Monica's things. I wanted to stay longer but knowing I had to work the next morning and unsure of the northern Ohio weather for the evening, I did not want to be on the road too late. Monica walked me down to the van and since I parked a little far away from her dorm and she did not wear a coat, I drove her back to her door. I was glad for the excuse to have her linger with me a little while longer -saying good-bye this time was as impossible as it was the first day we took her to Kent -- maybe even a bit worse.

All I could think about was how wonderful it was having her home for break -- even with her crazy Golden Girls obsession. I knew coming home from work each day was going to seem empty without her there to greet me.

With the snow and a lot of traffic due to students coming back, the parking lot was a mess which prevented any lingering good-byes. Like the first time we dropped her off, I tried to watch Monica walk back to her dorm but with all of the people and boxes being moved in, I lost sight of her. As I turned the corner to leave, I tried to catch a last glimpse of her but it was too late . . she was already in the building and on her way back up to the 7th floor of Wright Hall.

As I drove off campus I wondered if my heart was going to ache this much every time the girls went back to school after a break. It seemed the drive home was going to be very sad, lonely and long. I began to busy my mind with all of the dinner options I had before me - -eating on the road is sometimes my favorite thing to do. I was trying to decide between actual food or just a Starbucks treat -- or both. I wondered if I should sit and eat alone, which I really don't mind doing, or just hit a drive-thru and eat on the road. I was a little happy I didn't have someone with me that when asked what they wanted to eat the reply would be, "I don't care, what do you want?" Then proceed to turn down every suggestion I had. I needed to stop and get gas and decided I'd give the salty windows a good cleaning while I did. With no further planning left to do, I let my thoughts wander --until they were back at Kent.

I wished I was sitting at home watching an episode of the Golden Girls with Monica. The day had been so perfect - -Monica and I talked so freely and had no disagreements on where to go or what to do. We were not rushed for time or had any appointments to get to - -the day was ours to enjoy and I did, immensely. I called Jerry to let him know I was on my way back and the approximate time to expect me home. Zach was asking for me earlier, which made me a bit more anxious to get home.

About an hour into the drive, Monica called me to ask me something about her schedule. We talked, and talked ---

And we talked.

And if you know anything about me, you know how much I hate talking on the phone so it was quite a feat that we stayed on the phone for an entire two hours. We hung up when I was about to exit to Englewood. The day and the phone conversation is probably the most I have ever talked to Monica at one time. As we hung up, I realized how much I enjoyed Monica that day. I realized what a rare thing it was, having uninterrupted time alone with one of my children -- I wish I had more opportunities to do that with each child of mine. I was so immersed in the conversation I never did stop to eat or feel hungry despite only having had one meal that day.

As I neared home, I braced myself for the empty feeling the house was going to have, both Amanda and Monica now being back at school. Both Zach and Jerry pretended to be asleep when I walked in - -despite me pretending to be hurt and needing their assistance. They shared with me an article about Zach that was in the local paper -- he was selected Player of the Week last week. We talked for a little bit but when the conversations were done and the guys left the room, I grabbed the remote control . . . .

and I frantically searched for an episode of Golden Girls.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

STOP! You're making me cryyyyyyy.