Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Basketball Mom


Is is just me or do other basetball Moms sit in the stands during a game and think of their sons:

As the team parades out in a single file line, I recall those chubby 2 year old legs stomping around the house like a soldier, "hut 2, 3, 4 -- hut 2, 3, 4 . . . ."

When he runs down the court, I suddenly get flashbacks of his first toddling steps.

When he shoots the ball, I suddently get flashbacks of him standing in front of a 4 foot Little Tikes basketball hoop - -and barely able to reach the goal.

I wonder -- How did he grow to 6'5" when it was just yesterday, I was holding him in my arms.

He grabs the ball from an opponent and I clearly remember the numerous times he'd grab a toy from one of his sisters.

He runs. He shoots. He jumps. He plays. They know him. They shout his name. They cheer him on. To this place and this crowd, he is Zachary Newsome, #32, 6'5" Junior, Forward for Northmont Varsity Basketball. I know him too. I cheer him on. I'm so proud but when I look out on the court, I don't see a 6'5" Varsity player. There, rebounding and scoring I see a player and to me he's simply . . . .

My Boy.

0 comments: